This recipe is especially recommended when, in addition to the side effects or selected symptoms, the texture of the food needs to be adapted due to mucositis, esophagitis or pain or difficulty swallowing.
Red Lentil Dahl (texture modified diet)
Ingredients (serves 2)
120 g of red lentils
1 small tomato
1 garlic clove
1 inch fresh ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the lentils in a strainer and wash under cold water until the water comes out clean.
2. Peel and chop the garlic and onion.
3. Grate the tomato and ginger.
4. In a pan with some oil, fry the onion, garlic, and ginger for fifteen to twenty at low heat.
5. Add the tomato and the bay leaf to the pan. Stir and cook at very low heat until the tomato is cooked.
6. Add the turmeric and cumin. Stir and let it cook for some seconds. Remove from the heat and re-serve.
7. Cook the lentils in 350-400 g of boiling water for fifteen to twenty minutes. Once they are cooked, add the reserved vegetables.
8. Cook for some more minutes until it thickens and remove from the heat.
7. Remove the bay leaf.
8. Put in a tall container and blend.
9. Serve with sprinkle of ground spices on top.
In case of dysphagia, strain to obtain a smoother result and mix in the ground spices so that they are well integrated into the dish.