This recipe is especially recommended when, in addition to the side effects or selected symptoms, the texture of the food needs to be adapted due to mucositis, esophagitis or pain or difficulty swallowing.
Three-grain salad with salmon (texture modified diet)
Ingredients (serves 1)
2 tbsp soft wheat
3 tbsp barley
2 tbsp quinoa
80 g fresh salmon
4 green asparagus
3 cherry tomatoes
70 g carrot
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt (Skip in case of hypertension or fluid retention)
1. Boil the cereals in abundant water with salt. The soft wheat and the barley must boil for thirty-five minutes and the quinoa for twenty minutes. Drain the cereals and let them cool. Reserve.
2. Peel and grate the carrot.
3. Blanch the asparagus for five minutes in boiling wa-ter. Drain and transfer to an ice bath. Strain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
5. Cut the salmon into large chunks. Cook over medi-um-high heat in a pan with a few drops of oil.
6. Make a vinaigrette with the mustard, vinegar, salt and oil.
7. Blend the cereals with water or a vegetable broth and some olive oil until puréed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Blend the cooked salmon, carrot and tomato with a tablespoon of the previous cereal purée.
9. Blend the asparagus, on its own, adding a table-spoon of the cereal purée into a similar texture to the previous one. Season with salt to taste.
10. Layer the different purées in a cup and season with the vinaigrette.
In case of dysphagia, put the different purées through a very fine sieve, until they are smooth. Purées can be made runnier, by adding more liquid, or thicker, by adding a spoonful of mashed potato flakes, when pu-reeing.